Thursday, September 29, 2011

My morning at the gym

This morning my friend and  I took a Rumba class. You know, the high energy super fun dance/aerobics class I wrote about last week. I had the same entertaining male instructor, the one who I think really wants to be part of a dance ensemble on Broadway.  I have had two other male instructors and he is by far my favorite because of how simply entertaining he is. (He loves to do jazz hands and look at himself in the mirror while he gyrates his hips really fast. Need I say more?)
All the people taking the class are women, I am assuming they are mostly Colombian women and that most if not all are housewives. They are always dressed in outfits that match, even down to socks and scrunchies. Their hair is in a perfect pony tail, their make up seemingly shellacked on because no matter how much they sweat, I never see it run.
Anyway, during class, one of the women stopped dancing and got the remote control for the air conditioning unit to change the setting. Next thing I know, another women takes it, says something to the first woman then changes the setting again. The room is not big and there were probably about 15 women in the room and there wasn't much more space to move. So, anyone stopping in the middle of the room to do anything can be a bit disruptive. The instructor ignored both women and kept on going. So, the rest of us are having to maneuver around these two women. I figured they would take a minute to figure out the AC and get back to the dancing. I was wrong. One of the women then went out to get another gym employee to change the setting (Apparently it wasn't cool enough for her, maybe her makeup was in danger of melting. I go to the gym expecting to sweat and after an hour look like a slob, so I didn't care if the AC is on high or low.).
The employee tried to change the setting and when it didn't work left the room and returned two minutes later with another remote that changed the setting to something that made the women happy.
Meanwhile, the woman who started the AC remote thing to begin with, started talking with her friend who was standing next to me right in the middle of the class, while I was trying to salsa my way to a leaner me. Again, the instructor ignored everyone but his beautiful self in the mirror and kept on going.
I kept turning to my friend and smiling about the goings on of this woman who kept stopping. Just when I thought the class couldn't get any funnier (I was laughing to myself this whole time over the AC needing to be perfect) The instructor changes the song and we go from a fast salsa to...... Michael Jackson's Thriller. He then proceeded to lead us dancing the zombie dance from the video!! I was ready to fall on the floor laughing my head off!!! I was actually doing the Thriller dance!! It was another time I wished I had a reality show camera following me, you all would have been rolling on the floor laughing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment