Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cars and Dogs of Cartagena
While crossing the street anywhere in this city, I have noticed that cars speed up. Not just the cabs in a rush to take people places, I mean any and all cars. I have tried all kinds of strategies to prove to myself that I am imagining things. However, time and again, as soon as my foot hits the asphalt, it is as if a checkered flag has been waved. Off, they go, vrooooommm, and then it turns into a race between me and the car. Can I make it to the other side before the car has a chance to hit me?
Thankfully, each time I have made it to the other side. I have become very patient crossing the street and I become braver with a crowd. I figure if I am between at least two people, I have a better chance of a safe crossing.
Now, this brings me to the dogs of Cartagena. There are some adorable pooches here. I mean cute small dogs of all kinds, Yorkies, Pugs, Schnauzers, and Lhasa Apsos. There are also many stray dogs, which are actually also cute and tend to be small.
This morning while running along the bay, I saw a small stray dog start to cross the street and my heart was in my throat when I was thinking that the car coming would surely speed up and I would be witness to dog murder, when lo and behold, THE CAR STOPPED!!! I mean, the driver saw the dog, slowed and stopped to make sure the dog would not get hit.
Now, my first thought was relief that the driver was kind and did not want to harm an animal. My second thought was, seriously??? Dogs can get the attention and respect of car drivers in this city when humans can't???
Okay, when I thought about it, I realized that I haven't witnessed all that many dogs even try to cross a street. Humans on the other hand are constantly darting in and out of traffic. Maybe, drivers are desensitized to people.
I think I will get a dog and have it cross in front of me from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment