Monday, September 12, 2011

My Ideas About God, In Spanglish
My housekeeper asked me if I was Christian. She told me she is an Evangelical Christian and wanted to know if I was too. I told her that  what I believe in is one God who loves all. This sounds easy and in English, it is.
This conversation took place with two people who speak very little of the other's language. Hence, the conversation sounded something like this: (a note, please forgive the misspellings in Spanish, simply can't be helped and yes, I mixed both English and Spanish together in a sort of Spanglish of my own creation.)
Glenys (housekeeper)-"Mi, envanhalical christiano, et tu?"
Aisha-"Mi madre y mi padre Muslimo, pero, mi think Dios Amor Todo." (my parents are Muslim but I believe God loves all)
Glenys-"Oh, este bien."
Aisha-"Si, sometimes people say, 'mi christiano, pero...(here I mimed guns trying to illustrate conflict) Dio gusto paz in corazon." (Yes, sometimes people say they are Christian but are violent. God likes peace in the heart."
Glenys-"Si, tu bien. Dios y Jesus gusto paz."
Aisha-"Mejor y Hombre habla 'mi christiano' pero (here I mimed a cat with claws to again illustrate fighting and conflict. No offense to cats intended, by the way. Women and men say they are Christian but fight and then I mimed that is not good. Not sure to exactly describe that mime, but she seemed to understand my trying to explain hypocrisy.)

What was interesting about this exchange is that we were able to communicate about what can be complex issues with very few words and some hand gestures. Hypocrisy is universal and she seemed to understand my point that people can say they are anything, but actions speak louder than words.
I have conversations with my housekeeper all the time and they are always a combination of hand gestures and Spanglish, I think we both have fun with the exchanges and the best part is, we are learning each other's language, albeit slowly.



No comments:

Post a Comment