Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Expectation is Everything
I came to Cartagena with very low expectations. Before arriving, I heard different things from people about what to expect. Some who have lived here said that it was a great city and a lot of fun. Other people have told me that, after the sights are toured, you will get bored quickly.
I had heard the supermarkets are small, the mall is small and does not offer much variety, and the city does not have much to offer a family.
Well, I came here expecting to food shop in a store no bigger than a bodega you would find in New York City. The reality is not quite as primitive. The supermarkets here are an adequate size. I have found most of the ingredients I cook with. (Although for some odd reason black pepper is very expensive here, so I have had friends ship me some from the States.) I have also found new ingredients, spices and herbs I have never seen before. Guascas is an herb found in a common soup here, there are many different kinds of plantain chips (all delicious) and there are ready made frozen empanadas and other tasty Colombian dishes that are heat and eat.
Having said that, American products such as cleaning supplies, shampoos and other groceries that are imported are also very expensive. I try to keep purchasing those items to a minimum. 
As for the sight seeing. Because We have been busy each weekend with sailing and swimming, we have not really even begun to start exploring the rich history of this city. I am looking forward to finding out about the Spanish influence here as well as the history of the indigenous people of the Colombian coast.
As for the mall, it is fine. I didn't love the malls in America, I have little patience for shopping, so it didn't matter to me what size it was going to be. Again, because my expectations were so small, I thought it would have three stores tops. It has much more than that, a food court, arcade and movie theater, it is more than adequate for our needs.
I have come across a few Americans who have experienced Cartagena as "primitive."
I understand, to an extent, these experiences. It was very frustrating to wait weeks to get internet hooked up, the internet/phone company will say they will show up on Wednesday at 3pm and they don't come until the following week on Thursday at 5:30pm. That is the norm here. It takes a long time for any services and medical care is not consistent. My daughter is seeing an orthodontist here who seems to know what he is doing. Several Americans here have used this doctor and seem happy. Many women I know have gotten laser hair removal done and some non-invasive cosmetic surgery. That seems to be safe and very reasonably priced.
I am by no means a Pollyanna, I don't experience the world as rosy all the time. I also don't think the world around me is only full of dog poop ready for me to step in.  I take the good with the bad. Having this opportunity is a once in a lifetime experience. I really want to appreciate the positive aspects of this country, its culture and its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment