Monday, October 31, 2011

¿Quién es este Señor. Amazon?

We are able to receive packages here in Colombia from Amazon.com and other internet sites from the US.  Packages arrive about once a week and there are always many boxes for people ordering products online that they either can't find here or are cheaper from the States. Drivers from Colombia pick up the packages from the airport and deliver them. One of the drivers asked someone about the return address of most of these boxes. "Who is this Mr. Amazon? He sends so many packages to people!"
At face value this is a hilarious question with an easy answer.
However, when I think about it more deeply, who is this Mr. Amazon?
Colombia does not lack in material goods, yes, some things are very expensive, however, you can find whatever you want here. Food products are a bit trickier. I can't find pure vanilla extract. Not to say it's not available in other parts of Colombia, but here in Cartagena, I can only find imitation vanilla flavoring. I digress...
My point is that while living in what is considered a developing nation, I have access to almost everything Mr. Amazon has to offer. I can order food, clothing and anything else I may need and get it delivered here.
Am I missing out on being creative with local ingredients and products I can only find here? If I want a shirt or shoes, I simply go online and purchase those items. Prices here are very high due to Colombia's high import tax. (I understand that the new free trade agreement between Colombia and the US may help lower this tax, if not eliminate it altogether)
If I could not purchase anything from the internet, I would have to be much more selective in what I purchased. Perhaps I would notice that I didn't need those cute sandals because the sandals I have are just fine. Or, that I can cook with imitation vanilla. It tastes the same after all.
I wonder what will happen to humanity in the long run now that we don't have to do without anything, as long as you have the money, you can buy almost anything, thanks to Mr. Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment