Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's Always Sunny in Cartagena except when it rains...

Since arriving the first week of August, the weather has been, for the most part, hot, sunny, humid and dry, except for the days it rains and the streets flood. (The streets flood every time it rains due to the city not having a proper drainage system.) The temperature does not fluctuate much so it will be consistently around eighty degrees, sometimes higher.
For those of you who live in a place that faces especially cold and snowy winters, this may seem like a dream. I will tell you that for me, perfect weather gets old after a while. I know I have only been here a couple of months and how could I still not be salivating over perfect summer weather almost everyday?
I lived in the northeast part of the US for most of my life. One of my favorite things about the northeast is its weather and the changing of the seasons. My favorite is fall. The leaves starting to change is always a site to see, especially in New England. I love the cool nights and wearing sweaters.
It is October and leaves on palm trees don't change color. I need to wear a sweater only when the air conditioning unit isn't working properly and it feels like a freezer in the apartment.
I also love the winter, getting snowed in and being forced to stay indoors and spend time reading or cooking is one of my favorite things too.
Yes, winter gets old by the end of February and I can't wait for spring. That's my point. I love going through each season, I get my fill of the weather and plants and then appreciate the next season right around the corner.
I actually love when it rains here. We have a view of the bay and we get to see some really amazing lightning storms. I will try to get some pictures the next time to post. The rain breaks up the monotony of the perfect weather days.
Maybe because I have lived through the different seasons do I know what I am missing. My guess is that someone who has lived their entire life here in Cartagena might not think snow, slush and cold wind are a charming break from clear sunny hot days.
I suppose I am thinking about this as a metaphor for life. I appreciate my family and friends in a way that I probably wouldn't had I lived a "perfect" life. I know that life is precarious, my father died at the age of 42, I was only 13 years old. This was after my parents divorced when I was seven years old. I appreciate every healthy day and every day that I can tell people I love them. I try not to take one positive thing for granted in my life.
I guess, I shouldn't take this awesome weather for granted either. Our stay here is temporary and before we know it, I will be back to the changing of the seasons, the rain, wind and snow of the northeast. Maybe, just like I don't take my family and friends for granted, I should say a prayer of thanks for the opportunity to live with such beauty each day while I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment