Monday, October 24, 2011

Do You Go to the Gym?

I was in my neighborhood supermarket checking out when the woman waiting behind me in line started talking to me in Spanish. I smiled and told her I don't speak Spanish. She then started talking to me in English. She asked, "Do you go to the gym?"
I was so happy! In the split second before I answered her I had a big smile on my face thinking that I made a new friend. Maybe she was in my Rumba class. Do I remember seeing her? Maybe she saw me on the eliptical machine or something. Regardless, I was thinking of how great it is I am making Colombian friends and now seeing the locals in the store and I will get to converse with them. I answered enthusiastically, "Yes! I do go to the gym. I go to the Rumba class. I love it."
She looked at one of the items that I was buying and pointed to it and said, "If you go to the gym, you really shouldn't be buying that, it is very fattening."
Wow.
There's a lesson in not making assumptions about what others are thinking.
I didn't even know how to respond to her. I was purchasing frozen dough that I was hoping would turn out to be fillo dough so I can make Egyptian meat pies and baklava for my friends.
I was crushed and perplexed at the same time.
"Um, okay." I responded. I still bought the dough, because I am not in the habit of doing things complete strangers tell me to do.
I was thinking that I would never tell someone I never met not to buy something because I think they need to work out instead. I guess this woman thought she was helping me. Not sure.
I have been told that here in Colombia, when someone refers to someone else as "fat," it is not derogatory, just a statement of fact.
For those of you who don't know me, I am not fat, I am not skinny either. I will say with confidence that the size and shape of my body hardly warrants comment by complete strangers.
So, that woman did not turn out to be a new Colombian friend I made. She, well, I don't know anything about her because I did not want to continue talking about what I should and shouldn't purchase. I packed my groceries, paid for them and left.
The encounter does make for a good story, so for as insulting as that woman was, I thank her for making me and my friends laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment