Monday, March 12, 2012

The Effects of Constant Perfect Weather...

It has been a while since my last post. I have thought about many blog posts to write and commit to doing it, only to find that it is a beautiful, sunny and warm day outside. I then decide to swim, walk or call a friend to go for a coffee at the local cafe, writing forgotten.
It wasn't until a friend of mine who lives in Colorado wrote on my Facebook wall asking me if I blog anymore, that it hit me how long I have been neglecting my writing. I don't feel good about it. I love to write and chronicle my experiences here. I love to share the interesting comings and goings of the people of Cartagena. I hate to admit this, the truth is I have become lazy. There I said it. I have had a job since I was thirteen years old. I have never considered myself lazy. I love to work and be involved in either my children's school or my local community. For the past few months, I have been indulging in exclusively leisure activities. I have taken boat trips to islands off the coast a few times, gone on ladies' nights out, taken a tour of a US Navy frigate, had lunch, breakfast and dinner out more times than I can count. In a nutshell, I have been having lots and lots of fun. Which has also left me a bit antsy and feeling like I need to do something productive.
So, a couple of weeks ago, I started volunteering at my children's school. I taught the children how to write their own fairytale. This was one of the most fun things I have done in a while. The children's first language is Spanish and their teacher was explaining that descriptive and creative writing is difficult in English for the class. I decided that writing a fairytale would be a great way to get the creative juices flowing. The most creative and hilarious stories in the class was written by a boy from Argentina who has lived in Dubai, Venezuela and Colombia. He wrote a story about where hippies came from. The funniest aspect of his tale was the characters he included, they were, Hugo Chavez, Dr. Frankenstein, Michael Jackson and Darth Vader, just to name a few. My son decided to write a fable about how school became boring. The plot line was that school used to be fun until an evil organization made teachers a mandatory part of schooling and then all types of fun was banned.
I have volunteered to go to the school once a week and help start a newspaper in the class. I am looking forward to writing in this blog again and keeping you all posted on my adventures here in Cartagena.

No comments:

Post a Comment